What is HelpU?
HelpU is a tariff that caps the annual water and sewerage charge for low income households in receipt of means-tested benefits.
Who is eligible?
- Domestic households in receipt of means-tested benefits(1) with a combined annual household income(2) which is on or under the threshold for the household size (including children) shown in the table below:
| Household Size
|| Income Threshold
(1) Means-tested benefits are Pension Credit, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Income-related Employment & Support Allowance, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Universal Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction/Support
(2) This includes all the income your household receives from occupiers who live at the property who are aged 16 years and over.
What are the household income streams to be included?
- Income from means-tested benefits(3)
- Income from other benefits(3)
- Take home pay from employment or self-employment
- Pensions (Pension credit, state pension, private/occupational pensions)
- Child maintenance/support payments
- Interest from savings and investments
- Student loans (not grants)
(3) We exclude some types of income from the combined annual household income calculation (such as Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction and disability/carer benefits & premiums).
What are the benefits of HelpU?
- Affordable tariff
- Reduced bill
- Could create disposable income
- Can work in conjunction with any debt scheme